This is a very traditional dish from my community, Bohra, and very easy to prepare.
- Fry 4 tbs of this spice with oil on medium flame for one minute
- Add a can of coconut milk slowly while mixing the spices
- Add 1/2 a can of water to the mixture
- Add ~2 dried red chili peppers (available at Mexican stores). Skip if you don’t do a lot of spice
- Add ~1.5 lbs of skinless chicken (I prefer thighs)
- Cook for ~20 minutes
- Add lemon and salt to taste
- (Optional) Add cilantro/lettuce strips for garnish
What I like about this simple recipe is it offers a unique taste and flavor and is very good value for time. It works with various subs. I could swap out the chicken for boiled eggs if they are about to go bad. I could add corn to the recipe. I could make a vegetarian version with mushroom, baby corn and bamboo shoots. The garnish in the picture is spinach – not ideal but I needed to work some leftover greens in.
It goes well with boiled rice or sweet bread like potato bread.
Pro Cooking Tip 3: White sauces need not be fatty
See why I weigh about a 105 lbs? 🙂